In AVI’s “Modern Starting Technology” course, Master Instructor John Barclay introduces this recently emerging, ever evolving technology. Modern Starting Technology is used in many vehicles as a strategy to increase fuel economy, as well as reduce exhaust emissions. With vehicles using Modern Starting Technology, there’s no more fumbling with your keys, and trying to find the lock in the dark. Your vehicle will sense the presence of the key/fob on your person and electronically unlock the door for you. Now just get in the driver’s seat, press the brake pedal while pushing the start/stop button and off you go!
Just as you would imagine, there’s a whole lot going on to bring us this kind of convenience. John breaks it down into easier to understand segments and covers all the important details you’ll need to know to be able to service vehicles equipped with this feature.
- The components involved; modules, sensors, radio frequency emitting and receiving hardware, a more robust starter and more
- Enabling Criteria-only using start/stop when it’s appropriate
- Using scan data to trouble shoot problem issues
- Push Button Start Security
- Safety Protocols
- Discrepancies between manufacturers
Upon completion participants will be able to:
- Identify start-stop & keyless ignition controllers.
- Describe reasons stabilizing electronics is used.
- Analyze modern power mode and how it replaces actual key position.
- Discuss restart methods used on modern vehicles.
- Evaluate starter waveform speed comparison.
- Identify data to review during an auto-stop malfunction.
- Identify safety concerns with start button illumination.
- Discuss modern hybrid start sequence.
- View hybrid start button deceptions & safety procedures to stay safe.
Runtime = 1 hour 9 minutes
Credit Hours = 2