The Air-Brake ABS class will offer students an expanded view of the overall system. AVI instructor John Barclay will take the viewer on an exploration of the components in an air brake system. Training on components such as wheel speed sensors and tone wheels as well as the circuits involved in transmitting that data to the controller. The importance of proper adjustments and service will be stressed. Controller diagnostics including no communication faults as well as knowing how to properly evaluate controller power supplies are adequate will be addressed. Training on basic scan tool usage evaluating fault codes, as well as more advanced functions like graphing are presented. This course also covers basic ABS air brake function.
- Understand the operation of all Air-Brake ABS components.
- Inspect a system for needed service
- Know how to evaluate and determine if a brake concern is ABS related.
- Understand the power supply diagnostics of the ABS controller.
- Understand the relationship to other vehicle controllers related to advanced ABS systems such as stability control.
- Be able to evaluate the electrical control circuits.
- Be able to diagnose ABS relay vales.
- Understand basic scan tool interface and diagnose no communication issues.
- Be able to use scan tool graphing to aid in diagnosing speed sensor faults.